MOUNTAIN PEPPER, LEEK & CHEDDAR TART
In Junkies Winter Issue 11, Brigid Corcoran from Saltbush Kitchen shared another of her mouth-watering recipes with us.
We invite you all once again to Eat Your Landscape!
This tart is a favourite at Saltbush Kitchen over the chilly months. Mountain pepper and leeks are like kindred spirits in the flavour world. The cheddar adds a distinct and delicious flavour to the tart. I do insist that you use a quality sharp cheddar with this recipe – it makes ALL the difference.
Bush Spiced Pastry
- 300g white flour
- 150g butter (cubed) at room temperature
- 1 tsp mountain pepper
- 1 tsp saltbush
- 1 cup tap water
Leek & Cheddar Filling
- 2 leeks
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp mountain pepper
- salt flakes to season
- 40g cheddar cheese – sharp and tasty
- 6 free range eggs
- 1 cup cream
- salt flakes and black pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl. In a food processor add dry ingredients and cubed butter. Blitz until you have a bread crumb consistency. Add 250ml tap water and continue mixing until the dough just comes together. Turn out onto your bench and make into a ball. Wrap in cling wrap and refrigerate for one hour.
- Oil spray a 30cm round tart tin to prepare for pastry.
- Remove pastry from fridge and roll out to 5mm thickness to fit tart tin. Roll pastry over tart tin and press into place. Cover with baking paper and top with baking weights (we use rice or chickpeas). Cook for 20 minutes at 180°C.
- Remove weights and baking paper and egg wash* your pastry, bake for a further 12 minutes and set aside to cool.
* Our egg wash is one egg and two tablespoons of cream mixed and applied with a pastry brush.
- Chop leeks and wash well. In a saucepan over medium heat melt butter and add leeks. Cook for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add a pinch of salt flakes and mountain pepper and cook for a further five minutes until leeks are tender. Set aside.
- Whisk egg mix ingredients to combine. Fill tart pastry generously with leek mixture. Crumble cheddar cheese evenly over the top of the leeks.Pour half the egg mixture over the leeks. Stir gently with a spoon to combine.
- Add remaining egg mixture.Cook at 180°C for 20 minutes or until cooked through and golden on top.
Take yourself on an Australian bush food adventure and check out the range of Australian bush food spices and recipes at: