ORANGE & CARDAMON BEAN CAKE WITH AVOCADO FROSTING
- 420 g can kidney beans or butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon water (add instant coffee for an extra flavour)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, or more to taste
- 70 g raw cacao or cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon GF baking powder
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 125 g butter (or coconut oil for dairy free)
- 5 eggs
- 180g sugar, coconut sugar or low GI sugar
- Rind of two oranges*
- 1 teaspoon cardamom*
*Replace the cardamom and orange with cinnamon as an alternative.
Preheat the oven to 180 ° C.
In a blender or food processor, blend the beans, water, vanilla and eggs until super smooth and creamy. Add the remaining ingredients and mix to combine well, scraping down the sides as necessary. Pour into a well greased cake tin (I used a 20cm high side cake tin with a removable bottom) or muffin tray. Bake for around 30 minutes (20 minutes for muffins). The cake is done when it feels slightly springy to the touch. As the cake doesn't rise considerably, adding the avocado frosting makes for better presentation.
- 2 ripe avocados
- ½ cup cocoa powder or raw cacao
- ½ cup honey (or maple syrup if vegan)
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt