Vanilla Bean Chia Porridge with Coffee Syrup and Blueberries
Another divine recipe from Amanda at My Goodness Kitchen. We know what we are having for breakfast this weekend. Coffee syrup?! Yes please!!
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1⁄2 tablespoon maple syrup
- the seeds from one vanilla pod or 1 teaspoon of good quality vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup fresh espresso
- 2 tablespoons organic coconut sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup chopped mixed nuts. I use walnuts, almonds and pecans
- 1⁄4 cup mixed seeds such as pumpkin, sunflower, chia and linseeds
- 1⁄2 cup fresh blueberries
Put the seed crunch ingredients in a small, dry pan and toast on a low heat for three minutes or until the coconut turns a light golden colour. Set aside.
In a small saucepan combine the coffee and coconut sugar and bring to a soft boil. Turn down the heat, add the vanilla and simmer for approximately two minutes or until the syrup begins to thicken. Set aside to cool. The syrup will continue to thicken as it cools.
Heat the almond milk, vanilla and maple syrup in a small pan. Bring it just to the boil before turning the heat down. Add the chia seeds and stir until the porridge just begins to thicken. If the chia seeds absorb too quickly, simply add more almond milk to thin out.
Serve a portion of the chia porridge in a bowl, add the seed crunch and the blueberries. Drizzle with the coffee syrup to serve.
Recipe and Photography by Amanda Logan from My Goodness Kitchen